Forest Knolls Pool is a community-owned and operated pool nestled in the trees at the edge of Northwest Branch Park.
The Latest News and Updates!
May 27, 2021
Forest Knolls Pool Members,
As a board we wanted to reach out to you all with a “status update” related to the pool opening for this weekend so that you can make plans accordingly.
As a result of ongoing construction work at the pool and issues with our fence identified by the pool inspector we were unable to pass our inspection this week and will be prevented from opening up the pool as planned. As a board we are saddened to be in this position and are doing everything in our power to fix the outstanding items needed to pass the inspection and reschedule at the earliest possible date. Hopefully by early next week we will be able to open the main pool.
Related to the inspection issues, we have encountered some significant delays with our effort to repair the baby pool plumbing. Unfortunately the baby pool will be closed and off-limits until this repair is completed. We have been working hard over the last few months, but were just not able to push the contractor hard enough to get it done in time. We’re getting a final schedule and will update you when we can. We realize that this is a significant setback and that many of you were hoping to get your little ones into this safe environment.
On behalf of all the Board members we apologize for this delay and wish it could be different. Please reach out to me or any of the board with whom you feel most comfortable talking to voice questions or concerns.
Forest Knolls Pool
May 21, 2021
The County has had some last-minute changes to their COVID restrictions that have allowed us to revisit our operating plan for the 2021 season. As you may be aware, as of Friday, May 28, the County will rescind “All County restrictions on capacity, activities, or business operations”. Therefore, it is up to the Board to decide what, if any, additional COVID-related restrictions we may want to retain.
We recognize that our member’s comfort level with social distancing, masking, and other requirements likely run the gamut from great relief that such restrictions are no longer required to great trepidation that there is still a significant risk if suitable restrictions are not respected. The CDC still recommends that unvaccinated people wear masks and and limit close contact with people from other households. Most of our members have children under 16, none of whom will be fully vaccinated until mid- to late-June (for those 12 to 15), and many of whom will not likely be eligible to be vaccinated until much later in the summer.
Therefore, we have decided to mostly open the pool under pre-pandemic rules, but with a few restrictions in place that we hope will avoid crowding of the pool deck so that those who want or need to maintain distancing have an opportunity to use the pool as well. We, of course, will continue to listen to member feedback as we re-evaluate the rules through the season.
Full rules should be posted to the website early next week. Highlights follow:
- There are no sign-ups or other enforced capacity restrictions. Please note that early afternoon and evening tend to be times of lower pool use, if you are looking for a less crowded time to enjoy the pool.
- There will be no enforced seating arrangement on the pool deck, but please be respectful if people require some additional buffer around their area to accommodate the vulnerable or unvaccinated.
- Guests will be limited to 3 guests per family per visit, unless renting a pavilion, in which case you may have up to 15 non-member guests at the pavilion. Standard guest fees apply.
- The diving well will be open for diving board use only.
- We will not be having raft days or the Memorial Day pot luck; we will wait on any decision about events later in the season like July 4.
- We will sell ice cream and other snack food, but nothing that requires heating (no popcorn or hot pockets).
- Entry will be from the side gate like last year, with a sign-up sheet outside of the office.
- Please wear masks when indoors (i.e. using the bathroom); Mask use on deck is not required, but depending on the situation, unvaccinated people may want to wear a mask outdoors.
- We will be having swim team practices to occupy 3 lanes of the pool from 4:30 to 7 pm on weekdays (as well as in the morning after school lets out). From 7 pm until closing, up to 3 lanes may be made available for general lap swimming (depending on use; at least 1 will be available at all times). Once school lets out, we will have additional early-bird lap swimming similar to last year. Swimmers may share a lane (please ask if someone is already using a lane before jumping in).
Pool hours will be similar to 2019 and prior years (will be posted on the website when we post the full rules), with the exception of additional early-bird swim hours.
Again, we will be re-evaluating these rules as the season progresses and may revise them if we feel they are not helping us achieve a desirable balance for our varied pool membership.
Hope to see you at the pool.